Monday, August 31, 2009

An introduction to The Middle Stage

Many of you are coming to The Middle Stage for the first time because of Arzee the Dwarf. So here is a selection of eight posts from the last four years that I think provide a fairly representative idea of what this site is about, what my ideas about literature, politics, and culture are, and what my methods are like:

"On Patrick French's biography of VS Naipaul""On the Autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi""Salman Rushdie and Midnight's Diaspora" "English and Hindi in Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games""On Mukul Kesavan's The Ugliness of the Indian Male""Tigers in the poetry of William Blake and Salabega""On Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth" – and "Fakir Mohan Senapati's Roundabout Fictions".

Looking through these old essays, I also had occasion to read once again the many sharp and perceptive comments, not all of them complimentary, that you, my readers, have made in response to them. I thank you for your contributions, and hope that you will continue to write, as I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading the middle stage for a couple of years at least. It's one of my favorite blogs, and I hope you keep writing.